Thursday, April 25, 2013

Adventures in Soaping

Herbs and Other Ingredients I want to try and why...

Beet Root.  I'm Probably not using it for the reason you think. I don't want to use it for a colorant.  It actually turns the soap a brownish color rather than the ruby red color that some say it will.  I found Beet root powder to be incredible.  It is full of antioxidants,  vitamins and minerals that make it excellent for our health.  Not only on the inside but also on the outside.  The skin soaks up those vitamins and minerals.  It also gives the skin a natural healthy glow.  I love to add beet root powder to the bath.  I also make a mask by mixing a bit of beet root powder into some kaolin clay. (Not too much or you turn pink lol)  Because I love this herb so much I want to make a facial soap out of it some day.  I would also love to add the juice to something and see if that works better than the powder on it's own.

Kelp Powder & Seaweed Extract. I've read that seaweed and kelp especially is very moisturizing and soothing. Also all seaweed is full of minerals and vitamins that are absorbed into the skin readily. Like the beta carotene, potassium, calcium, iron and Iodine especially. As well as vitamins A B1, B2, C, D, E  Some pages say that it also helps with stimulating collagen although those claims aren't confirmed.  Kim from Essential Soap makes a beautiful bar using Kelp Powder and Sea Salt.  I am dying to try it.  I also want to make a mask with the powder and see what happens. Voyageur Soap & Candle company also sells seaweed extract which I want to try in a shampoo and conditioner.  Since there are suggestions that it also may stimulate hair growth.

Papaya.  I love this fruit.  It is full of antioxidants. Plus it has naturally occurring Alpha Hydroxy Acids which help slough away dead skin cells and reveal the fresh beautiful skin underneath.  I really want to make a facial soap bar or a cream soap with this ingredient.  I will mash up the papaya and the rind together and add it to the soap.  Perhaps a mask would be nice as well if I can find some Papaya extract I may try that.

Avocado. This in another of my favorites.  It is full of moisturizing and skin softening properties.  The anit-oxidants helps to rid the skin of toxins that damage the skin.  I want to mash it up and add it to a soap just like that.  I have an Avocado Oil recipe so this would just add that extra punch to it I think.

Elderflower.  Elderflower has anti-oxidant properties and Phytochemilcals.  Both of which help to prevent free radical damage.  I've read that it also contains some essential vitamines as well.  And it is said to have skin lightening properties.  I would love to try this in a cream and also in a facial soap bar.

I may infact use all these ingredients in one soap or facial product and see how that works out.  I think that it would be cool




No comments:

Post a Comment